With the growth of coal mining in the city, the population of Lethbridge continued to grow. Need for rail line access for the mines saw the construction of bridge. Beginning in August of 1908, the bridge was completed June 22, 1909 and officially opened on November 1, 1909. It cost a whopping $1,334,525.00 to build. This bridge is still the longest and highest of its kind in the world reaching 5,327.625 feet long (1.6km) and 314 feet high (96 meters). In its time is has been described by some as one of the wonders of the world!
This CPR rail line has stood the test of time and is still used today with numerous trains crossing the bridge throughout the day.
Access at the West end of 3rd Avenue South and Scenic Drive